Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sabotage




So I was reading this blog by a guy named Dan Pallota, and it got me thinking about people's crazy.


Let me begin with a confession:

If you ask me my golf handicap, I'll probably tell you it's a 12 or if I'm feeling like you wouldn't care either way I'll be a little more honest and say it's a 15.  However, I’ve got to be honest with you, I have no idea what I actually shoot on the golf course.  It’s not because I don’t count my penalty strokes or my mulligans, I actually do (a few weeks ago I took a 12 when my first three tee shots went into the woods, years ago I would have called that 3 mulligans and a birdie).  No, it’s because I have probably never actually taken an honest second putt.  What I mean is, if my ball is around six feet from the hole, I begin to do what I call ‘mental gymnastics.’  Here’s what I mean: Instead of standing over the ball, lining up my shot, and taking the putt, I usually walk up and create some sort of sabotage.  I’ll swing the club with one hand, hit the ball from the wrong side, or just run up and shoot it really quickly.  If the putt goes in, it counts (of course).  However, if I miss (which usually happens), I say to myself, ‘well if I would have just taken my time then I would have made it.’ And then I walk off the green with mixed emotions, knowing deep down I bogeyed the hole but gladly enjoying the par on the scorecard.  In the end I’d rather walk to the next tee box feeling like I could have made it rather than accepting the truth that I’m really not that good at golf.


Pallota’s blog is a critique of non-profits.  His observation is that many people get into ‘world-saving’ work because they are hero-complexed co-dependents. I, out of my own experience, more or less, agree with him.  Furthermore, Pallota went on to critique the way non-profits almost pride themselves on being under rescourced:
In my consulting work, I see people who wear the debilitating lack of resources in their organization like a badge of honor, despite the fact that the deficiency undermines their ability to impact the community problem they are working on. I see people moving from one nonprofit to another, from one cause to another, seemingly more addicted to "the struggle" than passionate about solving any particular social ill.

Now if you know anything about me, you would know, that no one waves the ‘everyone should suffer and struggle’ flag more enthusiastically than I do.  But I do think there is a difference between the kind of struggle that involves addressing and working through the pain and suffering happening in the world/your soul, and struggling because of your own sabotage.
Do you perpetuate cycles of struggle because you need something to blame your failures on?  Do you surround yourself with busyness, a lack of resources, organization or preparation because you are afraid to face the truth: What if you had all of your ducks in a row and you still failed?  What if you had unlimited resources, time and energy and you still came up short?  Could you accept that you aren’t that great?  Could you still love yourself if you saw how talented you actually were rather than living in the delusion of whom you could potentially be?

My point is this: The world might be a better place if we stopped nurturing the crazy that keeps our egos alive.  I’m not encouraging despair but rather encouraging all of us, not just those that work in non-profits, to work on cultivating healthy environments and a balanced self.  Stop trying to save the world if you can’t properly care for the people around you or even yourself.  Work to bring order to the chaos around you.  Take the morning to organize your desk.  Take five minutes and meditate or pray.  Reassess your goals based on what you or your organization can actually afford both financially and emotionally.    

no one is impressed by how crazy your life is
So line up, take your time on that putt, if you miss it, so what, at least you’ll find yourself outside of the turmoil and in a place of authenticity. 

Shalom.

4 comments:

  1. Great! I agree with you 100% on the hopefulness behind asking these questions.

    I told Sally this morning that I wonder if people do nonprofit because after an initial attempt in the for-profit world, they realize how competitive and hard it is out there, and they succumb to the fear that they'll never be good enough to survive.

    An alumni of WKU gives advice to those that want to help other in overseas development organizations. She says this on her blog:

    "People do not get to be stock brokers, doctors, architects or lawyers just because they want to; for most professions, you have to work over many years to acquire the skills and expertise needed. Getting to work for the UN or any other international development agency is no different.

    In addition, you need more than a good heart. People in developing countries need people with hard skills, skills they don't have (but that they want). They want to be paid to build their own schools, clean up after disasters themselves, care for their children, etc."

    This is the point that really hit me in Pallota's blog: what if you took your job just because you didn't see how you could develop the necessary skills to do well in anything else? Are you really doing your current organization a service by filling their roster with unskilled, self-sabotaging employees? No.

    Good blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend of mine and i were talking and he was questioning the 'calling' of some of the people in his theology program. He said, 'i think people do ministry because they can't think of anything else to do...' i felt convicted...

      your point also touches on the blog (http://stevenlefebvre.blogspot.com/2012/04/fatherless-generation.html) i wrote last week about how the people we celebrate in our culture are all 28 and there's no wisdom in our pursuit of justice... thinking about it some more, perhaps this is the problem also... it seems that the hot shots in the non profit sector are all young people with a ton of swagger... but again, not to overuse the example, cases like jason russell demonstrate that we just aren't ready/organized/emotionally prepared/wise enough to handle the giant that are as big as some of these world's problems...

      one of my favorite non-profites is International Justice Mission, i've been there, known people who work there, and have followed their work closely... it's an organization ran by middle aged lawyers, very professional (they make their interns where suits) and very focused AND very funded... coincidence? nope!

      Delete
  2. I love reading your brain on the internet.

    Interestingly, while I did not write a blog post on this yesterday, I was thinking about the same thing! A friend's article on HuffPo is a good balance to the negativity of this dude. Check out the article and my comment...

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-hofmann/spiritual-practice_b_1432330.html

    I think that if we world changers can realize that do gooding / social impact / meaning are just other idols for our soul to consume, then they will be free of the ego demands. Instead they will be free to love others without abandon and because they are not measuring their success by the transformation of others...which is inevitably slow and difficult and bigger than whatever tiny work we are doing with them.

    ReplyDelete