Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Call To End Your Church Baggage





I think I know how doctors feel… well sort of.  You know how when someone in a group meets a doctor, someone (usually me) blurts out some question seeking free unsolicited medical advice.  I have found that when I tell people I work for a church I usually end up with a lap full of unsolicited church baggage. 

Now my purpose in writing this isn’t to invoke sympathy.  It’s actually quite interesting to hear the very personal yet very common story about how God, Jesus and the church was terrible to you.  However, what does bother me is the caricature of the church I find myself defending in these conversations.  I often want to stop the conversation and say, do you really think we are all a bunch of delusional fundamentalists who hate women, the gays, and science.  Are we still going with the narrative that says the church is only interested in condemning people to hell if they don’t adhere to a strict moral code?


This is what evangelism has become for me.  Instead of spreading the ‘good news.’  I find myself at social gatherings answering the same series of questions about what I/the church think(s) about homo-sex, drinking, and hetero-sex.  What disappoints me is that I rarely get to share why I’m passionate about the Gospel and the church.

So here is my question: Is the overarching consensus about the church really that bad or has everyone just gotten too lazy to see the forest for the trees? 

It feels like every time there is a situation like Chic-Fil-A Day it only adds fuel to the superficial anti-church fires.  Come on, we are a brilliant generation of people, clearly you can see Chic-Fil-A Day was a political stunt and had nothing to do with the bible or church doctrine (if a man lies with another man, thou shalt eat chicken?  Come on).


My point:  If I were a nurse or a school teacher, no one would ask me to apologize for their childhood experience of going to school or the doctor.  Jesus nags this culture.  Why else, would people so voluntarily tell a stranger such personal information?  (It’s not uncommon for a stranger to cry in front of me about the subject)

For many in my context of the American South, I believe that Christianity is a dormant part of their identity that eats away at their soul.  I wonder if Jesus hovers around reminding people that there is life outside of this ridiculous rat race of hollow achievement and insatiable consumerism.    However, I believe people are mad (and people like me are left to apologize for it) because they believe the institutional church stands in the way; It’s too corrupt, too rigid, too anti-intellectual.

But you have to be smarter than that… right?  Every institution fails, every human has flaws, every person disappoints.  So why can’t the church?  Why can’t we simply discern that the church is the road that leads to the divine and not the divine itself.  Who told you the church was anything different, that you are left with this unrelenting disappointment?  Why can’t your own experience of your own shortcomings offer a perspective that understands this?   

So to everyone, my challenge to you is this: make a choice.  This way of ambivalence and bitterness will not lead you to wholeness.  Yes, the church in modern America has baggage.  But to everyone in their twenties and thirties, I write this to invite you to consider beginning a dialogue about how we are actually going to heal our planet and restore our humanity.  You know, something beyond good ideas, bumper stickers and conscious consumerism.  The church’s mission is to join God in healing the broken creation by living and loving as Jesus did.  You may not agree with a particular parish’s interpretation of that message but, I’m certain continuing to deconstruct the church won’t get any of us any closer to wholeness!  So either join the church or call a truce with Jesus because these conversations are a distraction!  

10 comments:

  1. Great post and well said. I get the frustration. These conversations happen similarly in the SF context. Either people here have never been a part of the church or they left it a long time ago because it was too institutional and not spiritual enough. That is reductionistic, but you get the point.

    Where I would push back is that most church leaders do not convey the church as a human construct. They talk about church attendance, small group participation, and evangelism like they are the keys to a divine life. And if that is the case then I am left to grow frustrated when those structures that were created by the church do not yield the advertised results. While I agree that people of faith should be able to "discern that the church is the road that leads to the divine and not the divine itself," to answer your question of "who told you that church was anything different?" I would loudly proclaim THE CHURCH. AND The pastors on TV, the Relevant Magazine authors, the person who visited my christian school and sold my Christian pogs, my grandparents, and anyone who has ever written a book published by Zondervan. Until Christianity stops "selling the divine" and admitting that we are flawed people just trying in the right direction, people will continue to be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. helpful feedback jarrod...
    my thought to that is... it just seems like people's tension come from a conviction to seek the divine but it just seems easier to use their singular narrative of church experience to excuse themselves... it's frustrating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see. That may be the difference in SF and in my own story. Are you talking about people who excuse themselves of all "acting justly, walking humbly, etc" b/c of frustration with the church? I agree that just because a church is full of bombastic sales pitches (that fall short) we should not stop the pursuit of the divine...

      Folks I know (and some times myself) just look for it elsewhere if the church is selling something they aren't smoking.

      I think that as a leader of the church YOU have a great duty to sharing an ecclesiology that is both human and divine. It is not solely the job of those outside the church to do that discerning. And in order to have that conversation you have the have the conversations that you are calling a distraction. Soooo....

      Delete
    2. yes i do have a great duty... my frustration is i never get a chance to share my ecclesiology because every conversation is about cleaning up somebody's baggage... i would love it if people would be more open minded about the church, jesus, and god...

      we have such an incredible proclamation, however, i feel like i can't even begin to proclaim it until all the mess is cleaned up

      Delete
    3. soooo... wouldn't it be great if we could talk about what the church is instead of what it isn't or what it shouldn't be

      Delete
    4. That sounds like whining. More speck pointing than pulling out a plank.

      I once read that the best way to to change a system that is full of seemingly insurmountable baggage is to pretend like it doesn't exist. Could you do that with these conversations? Or is this blog your declaration that you will no longer have the conversations?

      Either way, you are on to something. :)

      Delete
    5. well.. you're probably right...

      but i am intrigued by the idea of ignoring the baggage... but isn't that a little counter intuitive? isn't there something about our baggage teaching us? ug... we've gone down the rabbits hole... and no, i will continue to have these conversations... i feel like a clown when i go to parties...

      Delete
  3. Steven, I suggest this as something to submit to Huffington Post blogs...they may actually cover this. Great subject; great writing. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/religion/

    ReplyDelete